ESS Earth Sciences are proud to announce that we are now the distributor for Bristol Industrial & Research Associates Ltd (Biral). Biral’s BTD-200 lightning detection sensor is a great addition to our range of meteorological sensors. Based in the UK, designs and manufactures high-quality meteorological sensors for professional markets, including aviation, offshore platforms, and wind energy.
The Biral VPF and SWS Visibility and Present Weather sensors, which measure fog and precipitation, are used in applications including aviation, transport, offshore and meteorological observations.
Biral BTD Thunderstorm Detectors are standalone devices capable of detecting all forms of lightning including cloud to cloud, intra-cloud, and cloud to ground.
Biral wind measuring instruments such as traditional cup and vane anemometers, ultrasonic anemometers, and research quality three-dimensional wind profilers, are complemented by a range of sensors for the measurement of parameters such as temperature humidity, and pressure. Click on the products ranges below to view the full range or use the contact form on this page to request information, pricing, and availability.
Biral – BTD-200 Lightning Detection and Warning System
The BTD-200 lightning warning system is a complete detection and warning system which has been developed from the Biral range of professional, aviation-grade lightning detection systems.
It reliably detects the local presence of all forms of lightning out to a range of 35km (22 miles) from the sensor.
Designed to be installed and set up by non-specialist contractors, it comes complete with a power supply for the detector and the essential PC application – Lightning Works – for monitoring and warning of approaching thunderstorms.
- Complete, out-of-the-box warning system with minimal installation. (Power and data cables available separately).
- Fully automatic alarm triggering
- Warns of the most dangerous (overhead) lightning risk even before the first lightning strike
- Advanced, automatic self-test to ensure system operation
- Accurate 35km (22miles) detection range
- Detects cloud-to-ground, intra-cloud, and cloud-to-cloud lightning
- Detects charged precipitation and strong atmospheric electric fields
- Compliance with EN50536:2011+/A1:2012 for a Class 1 detector
- Performs in accordance with IEC62793 for a Class A detector